Professors: find out how to crosslist your graduate course with Cultural Studies below.
Faculty interested in cross-listing a graduate-level course with the Cultural Studies Program for Spring 2016 should do 2 things by the extended deadline of 4 p.m., 19 Oct. 2015:
1. Email the Cultural Studies course coordinator Jennifer Florian (email@example.com), cc-ing to Program Adminstrator Karen Lillis (firstname.lastname@example.org; 624-7232), and providing the COURSE NUMBER, TITLE, AND DESCRIPTION [description should be written with a Cultural Studies audience in mind];
2. Cc the email to your departmental administrator.
PLEASE NOTE: This semester, we are requesting that faculty recommend a category for their course. A, B, C, D. Please find category descriptions here.
We ask faculty to submit courses consonant with the profile of the program. This typically includes the exploration of issues such as:
- the relationship between culture and politics;
- study of culture across national boundaries and disciplines;
- the formation of disciplines and intellectual institutions;
- the production of texts;
- cultural antagonisms and crises
It is critical for the program's coherence and graduate-student interest that we avoid listing courses that do not address these issues. This would typically exclude traditional survey courses, courses on the life and work of a great artist, introductory literature courses, etc.
By cross-listing a graduate-level course with the program, you are considered by the program to be a member of the Cultural Studies faculty for three years. Cultural Studies faculty:
- receive notification of Cultural Studies sponsored and co-sponsored events through its listserv;
- participate in reading groups;
- are invited to attend and to organize guest seminars;
- serve as faculty participants in the annual Graduate-Student Colloquium and other events;
- may be asked to stand for election to the Fellowship Committee, which annually selects two Cultural Studies PhD students for advanced research fellowship support.
- may be asked or elected to serve for one year on the Executive Committee of the Program
If you have additional questions, please get in touch with the program director, Ron Zboray. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-624-6969.